The Griffith / Williams House. The house was designed by James Cooper, a prominent Washington architect, who was born in Rockville, MD. Cooper began practicing as a partner in a New York City firm where he did the New York City Yacht Club and the Belmont Hotel. He returned to the Washington area where his first design was built in 1922. He was known for his love of the Tudor and English revival styles and oversaw the construction of 330 structures of varying scope. Cooper designed embassy buildings in the Kalorama area of Washington, DC and perhaps his most notable achievement was the Foxhall Village Subdivision that contains some of the most prominent homes in the DC area to this day. The house features baseball themed highlights such as domed lights that were decorated as baseballs and brick work that displayed baseball diamonds in their center. Clark Griffith was famous for his ties to Washington’s political elite and he entertained them at this house that was located on 16th Street, just a few miles north of the White House. In 1959 he sold the house to Smallwood Williams, the founder of the Bible Way Church of Our Lord Jesus Christ. Williams started as a sidewalk preacher, but became a prominent member of the DC community in his own right and his church on New Jersey Avenue, near the intersection with New York Avenue, was a large and successful presence in the local religious community. Calvin Griffith told Jon Kerr in the biography, Calvin, “That house was so damn beautiful it was unbelievable,” describing the ornate woodwork and carvings by Italian artisans.